This entry was posted on Friday, April 24th, 2009 at 15:06 and is filed under Chitika. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.
There are tons of different factors that determine how much money you can make from Chitika ads on your website. In fact, all of these factors can be very overwhelming when you are trying to work on improving your earnings!
To help figure out which factors are the MOST important, we looked at 50 high-earning Chitika publishers, and narrowed down the top 4 factors that they all had in common. By improving these 4 factors on your site, you should see a big difference in your advertising revenue [note: this exercise is using Chitika data, but these 4 factors apply to ALL types of advertising (AdSense, TribalFusion, etc.)].
Factor 1: Traffic
Let’s face it – to earn a lot of money, you need to have a lot of traffic. If you don’t have a lot of users coming to your site, then you probably won’t get too many clicks on your ads!
- Suggestions: Take a look at these resources on building up your traffic – Problogger, Copyblogger, Wikihow.
Factor 2: U.S. Traffic
While having a lot of traffic is important, we can go a step further and say that specifically US traffic is ideal. It is well-known in the ad industry that the US market is the most developed and lucrative. Our 50 high-earners all showed more than half of their traffic coming from the US.
- Suggestions: Know where your traffic is coming from! You can usually check this easily on sites like Spyfu.com, or in your Google Analytics (if you aren’t running analytics software yet, you should be!).
Factor 3: U.S. Search Engine Traffic/SEO
Search engine traffic is extremely targeted, and advertisers like this. People coming to your site from search engines are most often the people who click on ads. And specifically to Chitika, our Premium ads will only show to this type of traffic! Again, our group of 50 high-earning Chitika users all had over 45% of their U.S. traffic coming from search engines.
- Suggestions: Work on your SEO to bring more search traffic to your site. Here are some great resources to get started – Problogger SEO article, Hubspot’s Website Grader, SEOChat, SEOBook (and their blog), SEOMoz (also has a great blog), and about a million other sites you can find on Alltop
Factor 4: CTR (Click-Through Rate)
This seems obvious, but it is worth looking into a bit deeper. For our group of 50 high-earners, their average CTR was 1.6%, so you should shoot to be in that range or higher if possible.
- Suggestions: To improve CTR, the most important thing is placement – check out this guide for tips. Other items that will boost your CTR are customizing your colors, fonts, etc. You can read how to do that here.
Still feeling overwhelmed? Don’t! Take a deep breath, put on the new Bon Iver album, and start with just one of the factors. You don’t have to do them all at the same time – just focus on one of them and take it from there.
- Posted by Ryan Travis, Director of Client Services
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.